I think the topic says it all. Those two words work perfectly together.
First of all, pigs are one of the kindest animals. (Hell yes! Smarter and even more social than dogs. And we all know how much we love our dogs and how connected we feel to them)
Secondly, they need people who preach kindness towards them as they are one of the most tortured species there is. I don’t want to go into detail, we all know what normaly is done to and with them so let’s focus on the positive things.
Here is a list of facts about pigs that you maybe didn’t know about:(I got this list from the website onekind, which is in general very good! )
- Pigs are extraordinarily intelligent. They are curious and insightful animals who are widely accepted as being smarter than young children of at least 3 years of age, dogs, and even some primates.
- Pigs are extremely social animals. They form close bonds with other individuals and love close contact and lying down together.
- Pigs are very clean, keeping their toilet area far away from where they lie down and eat. Even newborn piglets will leave the nest to go to the toilet within hours of birth.
- Pigs are very peaceful animals, rarely showing aggression. The exception, as with many animals, is when a mother (sow) with her young offspring is provoked or threatened.
- Wild pigs play an important role in managing ecosystems and maintaining biodiversity. By rooting, and thus disturbing the soil, they create areas for new plant colonisation. They also spread fruit plants by dispersing their seeds.
- Pigs have a tremendous sense of smell. The large round disk of cartilage at the tip of the snout is connected to muscle that gives it extra flexibility and strength for rooting in the ground.
- Winston Churchill famously said that “Dogs look up to man. Cats look down to man. Pigs look us straight in the eye and see an equal.”
- There are numerous stories of pigs that have saved the lives of humans. For example, a pet pig called Pru pulled her owner out of a muddy bog, and another, Priscilla, saved a young boy from drowning.
- The pig is the last of the 12 animals in the Chinese zodiac. The pig is seen to represent, fortune, honesty, happiness and virility.
I really really love those animals and i do have a godchild, or a godpig, named Georgia (like Georgia o’Keeffe). Here she is <3
There are so many ways you can help those wonderful animals. First of all, consider to stop eating them. Or maybe do think about where the meat comes from or simply skip it from time to time.
And there are a lot of sanctuarys that rescued pigs who can live with them now and they all need help in one way or the other.
If you are in Austria, there is Verein Ferkelfroh. This is where Georgia will, hopefully, live very soon. As soon as she gets rescued from slaughter. They need money but also, if you live in upper Austria, food for their pigs.
And then there is Esther! They also have a sanctuary and they are doing a wonderful social media job because there are regular videos and pictures and all. Just too wonderful and also, they need support in any way.
There are so many more! If you want to help, i am sure you will find some place you can do it. And then go and snuggle up to little piglets, give belly rubs and see how wonderful those animals are.